Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Open house

The weather today is cold, gray, and wet, but I'm not complaining because we desperately need the rain. On the other hand, I am delighted that the rain held off until this morning, because yesterday afternoon was absolutely gorgeous--the perfect day for students from my Concepts of Nature class to come out to my house to enjoy a cookout and commune with nature.

Trees turn colors along our hollow earlier than they do in town, and the clear blue sky put those orange and yellow leaves into the spotlight. We sat on the deck eating apple crisp and drinking hot cider and then we took a little walk up into the woods, relatively ho-hum activities but a nice break from midterm exams.

It made me recall with pleasure the few times my college professors opened their homes to students. I was first introduced to A Prairie Home Companion at the home of one English professor, and another gave us frequent opportunities to enjoy home-cooked meals--a nice change from cafeteria food. Things were different in grad school: a grad student well lubricated with the fruits of the professor's wine cellar might say some things that would be held against him later. During grad school, I never allowed myself to relax at a professor's home, but as an undergrad I always enjoyed the chance to get away from campus and spend some time surrounded by good books and good food and good conversation.

Now I'm happy to provide the same for my students, but we live so far from campus that many students are reluctant to make the trip. I invite about one class each semester to my house, and generally about one-third of the students show up. But that's okay. More leftovers for the rest of us! I'll thank the no-shows this afternoon when I decompress from the cold, gray, damp day by enjoying a nice warm mug of mulled cider.

No comments: