Friday, August 28, 2026

Friday poetry challenge: Paean to a flawed world

One sweet perk of staying in the guest apartment on campus is access to a reserved parking space in a central location, but it's really hard to take advantage of the space without a car.

On Sunday my husband parked in the spot reserved for the Executive Suite when he dropped me off on campus, but then he drove away and left me carless all week. Early Monday I told the building coordinator that I didn't need the parking space, but the sign stayed up, one of the best parking spaces on campus remaining empty. I wanted to stand out there and apologize to everyone who circled the lot looking for a place to park.

Now I'm finally home and have a car but can't park near the house. The driveway reconstruction is done but can't be driven on until the middle of next week, so we parked the car down by the road and walked up the hill. We'll have to work pretty hard to coordinate our movements with only one car until Wednesday, but I have a house and a bed and my family around and as long as I don't have to go anywhere, the car problem doesn't exist.

So I'll just park my butt in my space by the big window, watch some birds, and see what sorts of words come together in my fatigued mind.

A parking space without a car,
a prof within a Suite; 
a week away for work (not play!)
these job perks can't be beat.

A bridge that can't be driven on,
a creek without a flood--
but home is where the heart is, so
it's good, however flawed.

Good enough? The entire world seems flawed right now, but that doesn't mean it can't serve as fodder for rhyme. I'd love to see some more!

No comments: