Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Mold madness, part two

I have written previously (click here) about why The Thurber Carnival is so meaningful to me. First book I ever bought with my own money, a book I frequently re-read and use in comedy classes, etc. The book has survived multiple moves from Florida to Kentucky to all over Ohio and it has survived various campus offices for 25 years, but it did not survive the recent mold outbreak in my building. When I went to start packing up my office this morning, I found the book damp to the touch and covered in mold. I didn't check the other 500ish books in my office--who has time for that? Instead, I am staying away from my office and trying not to be consumed by anger. I mean, it's just a book. A whole lot of books. My books. Which may soon be consigned to the landfill.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I think anger is entirely appropriate, all of your books which should have been safe at your university were instead put at risk. I hope for the best but am sad for you. This isn't what you needed right now.

Ann said...

Insurance? My friend ended up having all the old children's books in her basement get flooded. I know she felt sentimental about one or two. But when the insurance company paid her $800 for the books, she went out and spent it on new children's books and donated them. She actually felt great about it in the end.

Bev said...

That's a great idea. I think we've finally settled on a solution to the problem that doesn't require me to spend hours cleaning mold off of individual books, but it may be a while before it gets done.