Monday, May 22, 2023

Feeling the burn

First sunburn of the season! This spring has been so wet and overcast that I've spent less time outdoors than I'd like to, but today was perfect for all kinds of tasks: cleaning the outdoor furniture, mowing the back yard, weed-whacking along the driveway, and planting the herb garden. By midafternoon my arms and face were glowing, and not in a good way.

Still, it was good to be out amongst the growing things, although I would have been happier if I'd noticed that big stand of poison ivy before I started weed-whacking right through it. The herb garden, as usual, was overgrown with lemon balm, which filled the air with lemon scent as we pulled it out to make way for basil, oregano, dill, and parsley. (No one has rosemary plants this year. Why?)

Our flower baskets out front are now abloom and the first hummingbirds have finally arrived at the feeder. Out back the tulip poplar is blooming, but a big section of the back lawn has been colonized by ants. The ants panic when I mow over their massive piles, but I'm just grateful that fire ants haven't moved this far north.

Temperatures have been ranging from the 40s at night to the mid-70s during the day, but with some cooling breezes and low humidity, we haven't needed to turn on the air conditioner. With the windows open all night we can hear the spring peepers down by the creek in the evening and, in the morning, the songs of birds. A wood thrush sings out beyond the wood pile every morning, reminding me to relish the transient beauty that comes with spring. Even if it's accompanied by sunburn.

 

No comments: