Friday, November 25, 2022

Gobble, gobble, gobble

Coloring books all over the table, Legos all over the floor, and a fine youthful voice belting out "God Bless America" from the bathroom--some things happen only when the grandkids are visiting. Right now the kids are giggling while singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" along with The Chipmunks while their mom colors and the men wrestle with a plumbing problem in the laundry room. Two plumbing problems in one week--we are doubly blessed! But at least we have some extra hands around to lift the burden.

Yesterday many hands made light work of our Thanksgiving feast. The resident grillmaster smoked the turkey overnight and the rest of us labored over the rest of the meal, which was fabulous despite a few flaws. (A little gravy burnt onto the cooktop never killed anyone.) My daughter's pies were flawless (apple pie with a lovely lattice top and sweet potato tart), and my pumpkin roll was good enough to remind me why I make it only once a year--because if we had it every day, we would all be shaped like pumpkins.

The grandkids enjoyed constructing tiny mutant turkeys, which were nearly cancelled due to supply chain problems. Vanilla wafers were unavailable locally so I substituted Nutter Butters; the three local stores I tried were sold out of candy corn, and I couldn't find any burnt peanuts either (but my husband did--at the farm store). My daughter saved the day by bringing candy corn and we were ready to assemble our candy turkeys.

After all that work, all we had left to do was to gobble, gobble, gobble. And for this we are thankful.









No comments: