Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Three cheers for an un-cretin future!

I don't know what kinds of stretching I'm supposed to do to prepare for the rigors of painting a room but I didn't do them over the weekend, and neither did I do any kind of prep for the long local-history walk I took with my Honors students on Sunday, with the result that every muscle in my body hurts during a week when I have to attend all kinds of extra meetings and events on campus thanks to Homecoming and faculty governance duties. And none of this is helping my bone spurs!

But do you know what will help my bone spurs? According to my doctor, I should do more walking. Yes: to reduce my foot pain, I need to do more of the exact activity that leads to foot pain. I suppose it can't hurt, except when it does.

But look on the bright side: my bedroom walls look sharp with a nice fresh coat of paint--and since that carpet is getting replaced next week, I painted merrily away without worrying about drips. The barn-red accent wall was fun while it lasted but now that it's white, I can redecorate in cheery shades of blue, which means I get to do some real shopping. And I have just enough paint left to do our bathroom later this week, and if I get sufficiently inspired I'll buy more paint and do the laundry room, although the prospect of moving the washer and dryer is not appealing. After that we will have finished our entire interior house-painting project. That's something to celebrate.

This evening I'll help a retired colleague celebrate his 85th birthday. To entertain him, I'm assembling a narrative from a collection of inane sentences written by past students, including "It is not cretin what our future is," a sentiment that I sincerely hope is true.

No comments: