Thursday, September 01, 2022

Busy bench

Sit on this bench in the middle of campus and everyone I know will pass by: 

The Instructional Technologist who answers a question about Canvas and tells me about her cats.

The Associate Provost for Tackling Annoying Tasks (or whatever his title is), who asks me which of several options for classroom chairs I prefer.

A retired colleague who has unexpectedly come out of retirement to teach a few classes in place of another colleague who suddenly left us for reasons that cannot be discussed in public so I keep my mouth shut even though I really want to know what happened.

Dozens of butterflies, bees, and birds attracted to the nearby pollinator gardens.

Our resident narcissist, who appears as if by magic the minute I tell a colleague that it's impossible to reason with a narcissist.

A former student who assures me that he's graduating next May even though it seems like I just had him in first-year writing five minutes ago.

A groundskeeper responsible for keeping the pollinator garden growing, who zips past too quickly to do more than accept my thanks.

Another student and another, and then a whole stream of students heading for lunch.

But now my lunch break is over and it's time to head back inside and get to work, knowing that my bench will still be there the next time I want to watch the passing parade--and learn a thing or two in the process.

 

1 comment:

LJL said...

This post was like a lovely visit back to campus. Oh, I miss it. And you!