Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A hand in the dark

Fearlessness and energy abounded yesterday as our grandkids scrambled like mountain goats over rocks and ridges while making their way to caves at Hocking Hills. Meanwhile, I scrambled to keep up but often failed. They marveled over bugs and fungus, admired the caves, and played in the sand, but only one thing slowed them down: going through a dark tunnel through the rock on the trail to Old Man's Cave. The two older kids entered first, holding hands with each other, but soon they were reaching back in the dark to grab my hand. If my grandkids reach out for a hand in the dark, I'm happy to help--and they pay me back in smiles that keep me forging ahead even when the path is difficult. 



It's really not possible to capture the grandeur of the big caves in a photo.













Dancing in a cave









 

No comments: