Friday, July 23, 2021

I can see clearly now

When I left my house this morning to make the drive to Jackson, everything looked blurry and undefined; by the time I arrived, I was able to read road signs without squinting. It took some doing but I can see clearly now, thanks to the new glasses I picked up this morning, with a stronger prescription and more prism in the lenses. I don't know what it means to have more prism in the lenses, but I know it helps my errant eyeballs to play nicely together. At first I couldn't walk straight and I saw not quite two but one and a half of everything, and during the first half of the 90-minute drive, I felt like something was pulling on my eyeballs. But the one-and-a-half vision slowly resolved itself and by the time I'd arrived, I could see clearly--even road signs. I don't remember the last time I could read signs without squinting.

But now that I can see clearly, I'm seeing things I don't want to see. Within seconds after I sat down on the sofa, I found a wood tick crawling on me, and then a few minutes later another one. The tick population is pretty awful this summer, but we don't generally pick them up on the sofa. I suspect that they hitched a ride inside on hubby's legs.

I was very careful to wear long pants last evening when I hiked at the Luke Chute pollinator habitat alongside the biologist who designed the habitat, who delighted in identifying many different types of bees. Abundant bee balm was attracting hummingbird moths and a few butterflies as well, not to mention the hikers who'd gathered for a potluck supper. I took my favorite summer berry cake, made with blackberries as big as my thumb--yum! 

And earlier this week I saw a pileated woodpecker fly off from a tree right in front of my house and heard another chattering nearby--all too quick for the camera, of course, and too distant for my sad, sorry eyes. If only I'd had my new glasses! I wonder what wonders they'll help me see?


Hummingbird in front of my house. I love that red collar!

Hummingbird moth

A tiny caterpillar that looks like a tangle of yarn.






No comments: