Tuesday, January 08, 2019

All the colors of the sunrise

This morning I kept trying to capture a certain shade of silvery green, a sheen that arose on the smooth surface of the water for a brief moment just before the wave transformed itself into a curling, swirling smash of silvery-white bubbles. 

I failed, of course. I took more than 100 photos but I can't find that hue in any of them. I see a multitude of greens and blues, some soft pale pinks and lavenders, and a sky on fire with orange and yellow, but that silvery-green color washed away, just as my memory of it will fade with time. Even now I feel it slipping back into the vast undifferentiated sea of sensation where the color will lurk, unnoticed and forgotten, awaiting the right moment to surge to the surface again.

The only way to find that transient shade, I think, is to keep going back to the beach, where the sunrise explodes into a riot of shifting colors. Who could possibly paint them all? 















No comments: