Saturday, June 30, 2018

Moving issues

I've been trying to re-use existing nail-holes to hang pictures on the walls at the new parsonage, but the pictures keep ending up at eye level for NBA basketball players--except the one in the bathroom, which ends up at eye level for a four-year-old.

But if that's the biggest headache this move has caused, I'm not complaining. I have moved houses while eight months pregnant; I have followed a moving truck across the state while driving a Honda Civic carrying two small children, a cat, and a rabbit; and I have moved into houses that had holes in floors, collapsing septic tanks, and a basement full of mold. By comparison, this move is a piece of cake.

That's partly because we don't have to move everything we own, or even most things. One advantage of splitting our stuff between two houses is that both houses feel a little roomier, but a big disadvantage is that we don't have two of everything. We've had to buy a few things, and by "a few" I mean--well, I've lost count. We bought only two pieces of furniture brand new--a bed and a sofa--but everything else is secondhand, including two darling little end tables I picked up at a thrift store for $25 the set. (They remind me of my grandma's house.)

But in addition to the big-ticket items, I keep having to go out and stock up on annoying little doohickeys: dish drainer and dish towels and throw rugs and picture hangers, cleaning products, picture frames, soap dispensers, lamps and welcome mats and placemats and laundry hampers. Do we have an extension cord? Soap dish? Lightbulb?

But things are coming together nicely. We still need to haul a few pieces of furniture over from the other house and I'm still hunting for some things to hang on the walls, but the place is starting to feel more like home. Well, except for the pictures, which might make a basketball player feel at home but just make me feel short. But how do I move the nails if I can't find a hammer?  

And now, here's a challenge: 



This is the current state of the living room. I'm going to an art show next week and hope to pick up some things to hang on the walls and we'll be moving some houseplants over here next week, but I need some help with the fireplace. The fireplace opening is covered with plastic to prevent cool air from rushing out in the summer and in in the winter. It's a shame, because it's otherwise a lovely fireplace, but now I need to find a way to camouflage the white plastic. Hanging fabric? Large planters? Decorative screen? I welcome suggestions.

No comments: