Monday, November 03, 2014

(And I feel fine)

I drove to work suffering from a particularly persistent earworm, a hymn we've sung in church two Sundays straight and it's a catchy enough tune but I keep obsessing over the grammatical error in the third verse and of course that's the part that keeps running through my head (and I keep wondering whether my recurring earworm problem is another of those incipient signs of total mental collapse due to aging), so I try the universal earworm cure--humming "Bohemian Rhapsody"--but even that isn't strong enough to send the ungrammatical hymn-writer to certain doom, so finally I'm getting ready to introduce my comedy students to a series of poems making light of The End of the World as We Know It and I decide to open class with this R.E.M. video, which drives out the ungrammatical hymn tune and sends me out of class with a spring in my step even after discussing The End of the World as We Know It, and you know what? I feel fine.  

No comments: