Thursday, November 07, 2013

Not art-smart


From the outside it looks like a sail unfurling or a whale's flukes rising into the air, but inside it's all airy cathedral. I spent a few hours this morning at the Milwaukee Art Museum, where I was more impressed by the building than the art it houses.This is entirely my fault. I'm just stupid when it comes to art: I know what I like and I know what I'm supposed to like but they don't always match. The Dale Chihuly glass left me cold, for instance, but I couldn't take my eyes off a little fuzzy hat a woman was knitting in the cafe. I tired quickly of the gallery of portraits by Thomas Sully (too many big-eyed children and simpering women), but a room full of Haitian folk art knocked my socks off.Part of my problem in museums is that my mind groups things perversely. I wanted to put the Haitian folk art next to an amazing 16th-century Russian portable iconostasis and a painting of chickens by Picasso, but alas, the curators had other ideas.If I could take any piece of art home with me I would pick something bright from the Georgia O'Keefe galleries or from the Haitian space, but more than anything I'd like to take home that soaring building. Too bad it would never fit in my carry-on bag!

2 comments:

Bardiac said...

Worth the visit?

Bev said...

Definitely! I would go back in a heartbeat but I'd like to take some sort of floor cushion so I could lie down on the floor and look up at that ceiling for a while.