Thursday, June 16, 2011

Not summer camp

Two weeks into my summer online writing course, I've lost another student and possibly a third. I've read that completion rates for online courses are low all over and now I'm starting to understand why. Since summer registration opened and students started asking about the course, I've been fighting two common misconceptions: online courses are (1) easy and (2) self-paced.

Now it's possible that some online courses are easy and I suppose it's also possible that my online course is easier than the same course would be in a face-to-face setting (although I doubt it), but I have consistently drilled into students one simple message: in an upper-level writing course, expectations are high. I regularly require my freshman composition students to write at least 1000 words each week, so why should students in an advanced writing course expect any less?

And I understand that one of the attractions of an online course is that students can squeeze in the course work around other activities, like work or travel or having a life; however, this doesn't mean the schedule doesn't matter. I've created a syllabus that will help students build writing skills over time, mastering one technique before moving on to the next, which doesn't work if they're postponing assignments and then trying to complete them in one fell swoop at the end of the eight weeks. Further, as in any advanced writing course, I expect students to read and comment on each other's writing assignments and to revise their writing in response to suggestions, which won't work at all if students are all at different stages in the syllabus. Online or not, deadlines count. Late work will not be accepted. There are no make-ups or extra credit assignments. Submit the assignment when it's due or lose the points.

So far, most of my students are doing a great job; they are posting interesting comments to online discussions of their reading, trying out new techniques in their writing assignments, and offering insightful suggestions to their classmates. Now begin the requests for extensions: I'm working too many hours, I'm going on vacation, I'm just really really busy...why can't I turn in the assignment later? Like, say, August?

I hate to crack the whip on such a lovely summer day, but the answer is no. Do the work and submit it on time or lose the points! This is not summer camp! In fact, it's more like boot camp. Now drop and give me 1000! (Words, that is.)

No comments: