Tuesday, January 31, 2006

You snooze, you lose

Kid in one of my classes yesterday pulled his baseball cap down low over his eyes, folded his arms, and leaned against the wall for a snooze. I was tempted to grab the cap off his head and toss it down the hall, but that room is crowded and I would have had to levitate over a lot of bodies and backpacks to reach him. At least he wasn't snoring.

I thought of him later in the day at a meeting when I had to mightily fight the urge to put my head down on the table and fall asleep. It was an important meeting and interesting things were being said, things like "We don't deal with chimps" and "I can create a new parameter for that," but I hadn't had enough sleep the night before and midafternoon sandbagged me. But I fought it: I stayed awake, I paid attention, and I occasionally emitted remarks, although I would not vouch for their profundity. Next time I'll wear a baseball cap and just give up the fight.

Meanwhile, I'm working on my levitation skills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the elevating power of your prose will eventually transfer to your body. In the meantime, there's always the time-honored tradition of the headlong leap.

Anonymous said...

Do your students know about this outlet of yours? I think it could turn into a dangerous thing . . . as they try to make themselves worthy of your comments.