Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring shows up for a break



I couldn't figure out why my building was so empty Friday morning until I stepped outside and saw that sudden sunshine had called everyone outdoors. We couldn't get enough of it Saturday and after a long walk we were inspired to wash every car the hose could reach. I could have stayed out there all day if I hadn't had papers to grade and midterm grades to post, but now the grading is done and I am officially on Spring Break. Good thing someone invited Spring to the party!

How will I spend my break? I'll spend the next two or three days expanding a conference paper into a journal article, and then I'll reward myself with a short trip north for some grandparenting time. The writing is going well so far, but the joy of academic writing can't keep me from venturing out to see what blows in on the spring breeze. 

Towhees, red-winged blackbirds, and eastern bluebirds are back in abundance, and yesterday during my walk I spotted a pair of hooded mergansers swimming in our creek. They flew off upstream just out of sight so I crossed the property line and trespassed in our neighbors' hay meadow, which is still mostly brown and mucky from snowmelt, and while I carefully picked my way as quietly as possible toward the mergansers, I saw a pair of pileated woodpeckers climbing up either side of a tree trunk. Woodpeckers to the left of me, mergansers to the right--and right up the middle runs Hopeful, scaring them all away.

Good thing the dog can't scare away Spring!

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

Oh, I'm so jealous!

Have a lovely break!