Saturday, March 22, 2014

A place in the sun

A chill wind makes sitting outside just a little uncomfortable, but I spent most of the week stuck inside gloomy rooms so today I intend to grab a place in the sun, even if the glare makes my computer screen practically unreadable. The pile of work I brought home this weekend looms menacingly over my every waking moment, but there's no reason I can't grade papers outside. 

Except for that breeze that just blew through--brrr! The thermometer says 60 but the wind feels colder. My navy fleece pullover absorbs the sun's heat, but it's no match for the sharp gusts of wind. 

From my deck I can hear the sounds of the creek below the bluff, where we saw four mergansers this morning, and from the distance comes the chattering of the pileated woodpecker I saw earlier. Phoebes, chickadees, and mourning doves add their distinctive voices to the conversation, a symphony of birdsong that could soothe me to sleep while the buzzards spiraling slowly over the meadow threaten to mesmerize me.  

So the sharp wind does its duty, keeping me awake so I can grade this pile of papers and then draft a grant request. Carry on, wind! Blow out the cobwebs and keep me alert!   

No comments: