Saturday, November 09, 2013

Six degrees of Xavier Cugat

Here's the most interesting fact I've learned at this conference so far: Francis Cugat, the artist who designed the familiar cover art for the first edition of The Great Gatsby, was the brother of bandleader Xavier Cugat, a fact that led my errant mind to stray far from the topic of the panel I was attending as I tried in vain to recover the stage name of Xavier Cugat's fifth and final wife, whose antics on the Merv Griffin Show frequently enlivened the afternoons of my adolescence. (Charo. I had to look it up later. I only wish the paper's presenter had looked up the correct pronunciation of Cugat, which sounds nothing at all like "coo-zhay.")

From F. Scott Fitzgerald to Charo in four easy steps: that's the kind of serendipity an academic conference can produce. Although this particular chain of connections is unlikely to enrich my research and teaching in any discernible way, other panels inspire more usable connections. This morning, for instance, a discussion of ekphrasis in film made me want to do more research on prehistoric cave art and its relationship with graffiti, a topic relevant to the paper I'm writing and a novel I'm planning to teach in a year or two. That inspiration alone made this conference worthwhile.

Just don't ask me to try to put that kind of insight onto a balance sheet. I attended this conference without any indication of whether my travel grant request will be approved, so I've been obsessing a little bit over how I can justify this trip to anyone who might questions the expense. I'm tempted to do a cost-benefit analysis, but it's complicated.

Costs: airfare, lodging, conference fees, food, incidentals. (Forgot to pack toothpaste, which isn't cheap at a conference hotel.)

Benefits: a line on my vita, an opportunity to share ideas with other scholars, potential to boost the reputation of the college, a chance to learn new things.

Complicating elements: Some of those "new things" aren't very useful (like the Fitzgerald-Charo connection). How much sharing of ideas can occur when there are more people on the panel than in the audience? If I say something really stupid, I could actually harm the college's reputation instead of helping it. And how will I ever get caught up on my classwork after spending four days away from campus?

I give up: I can't make the columns balance out, not even if I factor in the fact that Charo studied classical guitar with Andres Segovia. Worthless trivia or useful insight? I wouldn't want to try to judge.

3 comments:

Bardiac said...

Cuchi Cuchi!

When I was a kid, my parents took my brother and I to a cabaret show in SF called "Beach Blanket Bablyon..." It's still running, but with different words after Babylon.

Anyway, my brother and I, being underage, had to sit up off the main floor, and away from my parents. So we watched the show, and the idea is that this young woman is looking for her Mr. Right, and there are all these "stars" being played on stage along the way. So, when we went, the "King" was an Elvis impersonator, and so on. And there were hats. Super hats!

So, one of the characters was a Hispanic woman with a hat.

After the show, talking with my parents, my brother and I both identified that character as Charo, while our parents identified her as Carmen Miranda. (They were right, of course. The hats and song were about her.)

There's my Charo story.

Bev said...

Great story! Looking around the room at this morning's session, I concluded that I was probably the only person present old enough to recognize the name Xavier Cugat. When did academics get so stinking young?

Bardiac said...

One of my colleagues has a mash up of that cover, except instead of the title, it has the words: Drink Responsibly.

Cracks me up.