Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A welcome contagion

I've finally figured out what to give all my friends and family members for Christmas--a gift scientifically proven to increase their happiness. But first, some background: A recent article on "Social Networks and Happiness" (read it here) explores the phenomenon of contagious happiness. Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler report on their research into how social networks (both face-to-face and online) influence personal happiness. They conclude that "each additional happy friend increases a person's probability of being happy by about 9%."

An effective way to increase the happiness of others, then, is simply to be happy oneself. Since the goal of Christmas gift-giving is (or ought to be) making others happy, then it seems that the best gift I can give my friends and family is my own happiness. Therefore, I think I'll take all the time, effort, and money I would have spent on other people and just devote it to improving my own happiness. Shall I start with a massage and manicure or head straight to the Bahamas?

There's a flaw in this plan, of course: few things make me happier than making and giving gifts to my loved ones. If making others happy is essential to my own happiness and making myself happy improves the happiness of others, then we're all entangled in one big network of contagious happiness.

I hope no one ever discovers a cure for this disease!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev writes: "If making others happy is essential to my own happiness and making myself happy improves the happiness of others, then we're all entangled in one big network of contagious happiness."

I just loved that article and you are right on: Carol Gilligan's old web of relationships is proven true once again. I had a conversation with several profs the other day about how we are usually able to "pretend" to be upbeat in class even if our cat threw up all over us or something more painful--and that despite pretending to be upbeat, or happy, we actually become happy and upbeat during class.

Gives the phrase "don't worry, be happy" new meaning.

Bev said...

Yes, there's definitely something to be said for "acting as if", especially when pretending to be happy seems to actually alter one's mood. It seems somehow artificial, and yet it often works.