Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes.

I'm driving to work with nothing but blue sky and sunshine visible through the windshield while a deluge of noachic proportions falls on my car. How can all that rain fall out of a clear blue sky? And what must the part of the sky that I can't see look?

Yes, we have entered the Crazy Weather Season, when gorgeous sunshine lures you outdoors only to instantly fog up your glasses so you can't see where you're going so you stumble into deep muddy puddles left behind by the most recent deluge--and don't look over your shoulder, because there's another one on the way.

Yesterday I hydroplaned through standing water all the way to campus but at least I didn't have to fight with traffic since everyone else was staying home to have their Labor Day picnics rained out, but today I had to maneuver through standing water, heavy traffic, and sudden blinding deluges falling out of blue skies. This would be a perfect day to stay home with a cup of tea and a good book, but duty calls.

By the end of the week I'll be deluged with drafts, papers, reading quizzes, and committee responsibilities, but at least they won't arrive without warning. And I'm prepared: I've got my umbrella. Let the deluge begin!

No comments: