Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Coming out of the fog (briefly)

Tap, tap--is this thing on?

Not the invisible microphone I seem to be speaking into but my brain cells. Anything happening in there? Any brilliant insights left unscathed by fever, drugs, and massive mounds of mucus?

Apparently not. So I'll go with some links:

Why I'll keep telling my students not to grab quotes at random from online quotation websites (read it here). Who would have thought that the proximity of the names "Schopenhauer" and "Schultz" would result in such a bizarre misattribution?

And while I'm at it, I'll use this article to encourage them to take notes by hand instead of on their laptops--although at this point I'd be happy to see them taking any notes at all.

Unexpectedly interesting articles on two once influential women now largely forgotten: Nelly Bly (here) and Florence Ripley Mastin (here). 
 
And for a delightfully non-influential woman who offers up the opportunity to enjoy the phrase "Little Miss Polyester Underpants," say hello to my pal Agnes (here).

That's all I'm up to at the moment. Powering down. Zzzzzzzzz.......
 

 

No comments: