Monday, December 30, 2013

On hiatus

How many able-bodied men does it take to disassemble a picket fence? 

Sounds like the setup to a joke, but I don't know the punchline. Today it took three men and a teen to remove a section of picket fence at a house my brother is renovating in North Carolina. My husband swung a sledgehammer and wielded a crowbar, which suits his vacation requirements just fine.

We left Ohio yesterday in a cold, drizzly downpour that threatened to turn into ice and snow, drove through more cold rain and wind down though West Virginia and Virginia and finally saw the sun for the first time all day as we were entering North Carolina. Today we're walking around in short sleeves while Ohio braces for an Arctic blast of ice, snow, and bone-chilling cold.

Tomorrow we'll head for Savannah and later in the week we'll dip down into Florida, where we'll see more relatives and old friends and the ocean and lakes and green growing things and birds. I brought a little work along with me, but none of it requires sledgehammers or crowbars so at this point I think I'll just chill out and enjoy the show.  

No comments: