Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Who invited Elvis to this feast?

I didn't know that a certain local radio station had switched to holiday music already, so it was a little jarring when I hit the tuner and suddenly heard the dulcet tones of Elvis Presley singing "Blue Christmas," possibly the worst Christmas song ever recorded but someone must like it because it comes on EVERY TIME I switch from NPR to the holiday music station (which generally inspires me to switch right back), and so today in the car 100 miles from home when my son was scanning through the channels to find a Cleveland station, the first voice we heard was Elvis singing "Blue Christmas."

What could we do? We all sang along, adding smarmy yodels as needed. It seems I am doomed to have a Blue Christmas with Elvis, but I refuse to infuse my Thanksgiving with that obnoxious song. Among all the other things I'm thankful for this year, I'm delighted that the radio has an OFF switch.

No comments: