Thursday, October 03, 2013

What's the point of a study guide if students won't read it?

Yes, you need your book. It's an open-book essay exam, and the study guide clearly states that you will need to use evidence from the texts, so you'd better have the texts with you. Forgot your book? What do you plan to do about it? 

No, you can't borrow my book. I didn't even bring my book. The only people who need the book are those who are taking the exam. That would be you.

Yes, you may run to your dorm room to fetch the book, but don't ask for more time to complete the exam. Everyone gets the same 75 minutes; how you choose to use them is your lookout.

No, it's not a good idea to show up for an essay exam without having read the works to which your essay is supposed to respond. I warned you about this! But again, it's your 75 minutes, so if you want to spend half of that time reading the texts you've been avoiding for the past six weeks, be my guest.

Yes it is fair, no matter how much you may claim otherwise. I told you that you would be allowed to refer to daily writing assignments and even incorporate relevant material from those assignments into your essay, which certainly gives students who completed the writing assignments a tremendous advantage over those who did not. But here's the thing: every student had the same opportunity to complete those writing assignments, but you chose not to take advantage of that opportunity. You'll have to work twice as hard to write a good essay for this exam. Sucks to be you, but don't say I didn't warn you a thousand times.

3 comments:

delagar said...

Hah.

I actually *give* my students this speech in the classes running up to the exam. "Here's what's going to happen, the day of the exam," I say, and then I make a version of this speech.

They all laugh. Ha ha ha, who would be that stupid?

Invariably, you guessed it, two or three students are.

NO SYMPATHY.

Bev said...

None whatsoever. They want to make this my problem, but I'm always happy to hand it right back to them with a big smile and a cheery "Do your best!" It doesn't help but it makes me feel better.

Rebecca said...

Sings, "When will they ever learn? When will they ev-e-er learn?"