Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A wellness program that raises my blood pressure

By the time I got to the blood-pressure station at our employee wellness program health screening, I was so angry that my blood pressure was at least 20 points higher than usual. Why does our new wellness program  annoy me so much more than our old one?

First, because the new wellness program treats us not like individuals but like members of a group, and a particularly stupid group at that. Case in point: I haven't been to the emergency room in at least 15 years, but I still had to watch a long boring video about why it's a bad idea to use the emergency room for routine health problems. I know treating us as a group is a cost-saving measure, but I resent being lumped together with the guy who runs to the emergency room every time he gets jock itch.

Second, because the new wellness program feels intrusive. All my health screening info is going into a database where it will be stored in a way that my employer will not be able to link with my name. (So they say.) And then the wellness program will draw on that database to offer individualized suggestions for improving my wellness, probably in the form of more videos telling me, for instance, that it would be a good idea to lose some weight. (Like, duh.) If it starts sending hectoring e-mails, they're going straight to the Spam folder.

Third, because it is the cancer survivor's lot in life to be subjected to medical test after medical test until the end of time. I had blood work done last summer for my annual checkup with my GP, last August for our (old) employee wellness program, and last November for my annual cancer follow-up, and now I'm supposed to get more blood tests done for our new employee wellness program? That's too many tests.

Finally, because it's April, the cruelest month on the academic calendar. Every hour I spend sitting in a doctor's waiting room awaiting tests or standing in line to get my blood pressure checked at the health screening is an hour I'm not spending grading papers, prepping classes, or advising students. The crunch is on: with only a few weeks left in the semester, every spare minute is crammed with multiple responsibilities. I would be happy to show up for a health screening in August when the whole year stretches out before me, but April is always already impossible.

I keep reminding myself that the wellness program is supposed to make me healthier and happier, but getting angry about it just raises my blood pressure. Maybe it's time to step back, take a few deep breaths, and chill out. Think of the wellness program as a nagging parent: "I'm doing this for your own good, dear. You'll thank me for it someday." 

Okay, that just made it worse.

7 comments:

Spanish prof said...

Did your university change to a new health insurance whose name starts with "H"? Because ours did, and the new health program sounds exactly like you describe. Besides the fact that they have glitches in their system.

Bev said...

No H. But I think many insurance carriers have similar systems because the whole thing reeks of the bandwagon.

delagar said...

Spanish Prof -- I think we have the same H! Nothing but trouble since we switched. They *will* eventually pay for health coverage, but I spend hours on the phone fighting with them. And yes, the wellness testing, which I am certain will be used against us at some point.

Anonymous said...

Our wellness program started out a few years ago collecting data about our health habits ( survey on internet), requireing BMI, waist measurement, and lipid panel and fasting blood sugar every years (whether the testing was indicated or not - wonder how much that unnecessary blood work cost the system), exercising a minimum of 2 days a week for at least 2.5 hours and providing proof, and an appointment with a wellness coach twice a year. This year they have added a mandatory group activity outside of work to the list of requirements. In addition this year, if your spouse is also covered on your insurance - they have to do everything the employee has to do. If an employee (or spouse) fails to meet any of the deadlines, the insurance premium is bumped up to the high deductible plan for the remainder of the plan year. This, I believe is called the stick method of enforcing a wellness program (as opposed to the carrot method of providing positive incentives). Also, the program no longer accepts a doctor note that we have had our annual physical, but directly checks our insurance claims. I played along like a good girl with this, but now with the mandatory "support path" program, I am finding this increasingly intrusive. I wonder if this level is legal. I am healthy - all my numbers are in the normal range, and I exercise and eat a very healthy diet. The "reward" I get is not having a high deductible plan. My wellness program director still insists that I must engage in further activities outside of work- that, frankly, cut into my private personal time. Can my employer make me do this? Of course they can. They offer a high deductible health insurance if I don't wish to comply with their rules. What do you think about this? Will they require me to wear a pedometer or implant a microchip to monitor my health next year? Don't laugh. I told the wellness director that the program was stressing me out and she said I hurt her feelings because she tries to be available and helpful. I don't think she has a clue.

Bev said...

Ouch! This sounds so intrusive and I fear we're headed down the same road.

Anonymous said...

UPDATE (ta da): The little people let their voice be heard and the wellness people withdrew the mandatory extra nonsense. We aren't going to take it any more! Next on our agenda - close the wellness program down and use their former salaries to do something healthy.

Bev said...

Hurrah! Let's transform the wellness program into an outdoor recreation program so that we can tell all the paper-pushers to go fly a kite!