Thursday, February 14, 2013

There's a reason they call it "lifelong learning"

One of my students apologized for falling asleep in class and another thanked me for using large print on my Prezi slides. "I'm legally blind," he said, "but I can read the print if it's big enough."

Why is a woman who can't sleep all night sitting in a late-afternoon class? And what is a legally blind man doing in a film class? I'm just happy they're in class, even though they're not taking exams or writing papers or getting academic credit for the experience. I'm teaching a Learning in Retirement class for the first time ever, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. 

I confess I was initially motivated by the money--not a huge amount but enough to make it worth my while to teach one two-hour session each week for eight weeks, especially since I'm drawing on material I'm using in my film class so there's no new preparation required.

After four weeks, though, it's not about the money any more. It's just fun. 

The 20 or so students in my class are retired professors, schoolteachers, librarians, counselors, journalists, housewives, and who knows what else, but here's what they have in common: they know stuff. A lot of stuff.  And they'll eagerly share that stuff during class discussions--no one stares at the desk in hopes that I won't call on them. I learn something from them every week, even though I'm supposed to be the expert.

They speak up in class and ask terrific questions and they are incredibly appreciative. Late afternoon is not my most energetic time of day and today I was particularly tired, fumbling with technology and tripping over words, but as we were leaving, just about every student thanked me. I can't remember the last time a college student thanked me for a class (no matter how brilliant), but my Learning in Retirement folks thank me even when I fumble and stumble.

They wouldn't be there unless they really wanted to learn, so they show up, week after week, even if they haven't slept or can't see. I like them, these old folks. They're the kind of people I want to be when I retire. In fact, the sooner, the better! How about tomorrow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Retirement sounds good to me! I am lucky enough to have quite a few returning students in my day to day classes and they also are appreciative. It makes all the difference in the world!

Heather