Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I've got sunshine (on a cloudy day)


Stuck in my dungeon office all day yesterday dealing with drafts and advisees and annoying computer glitches, I finally decided that I needed a mental health break, so I trudged upstairs desperately seeking a place that wasn't cold, dark, damp, and gloomy.

I haven't found it yet. 

A week ago we were surrounded by sunshine and warmth and trees bursting with fall color, but then on Saturday the rain started falling.

It hasn't stopped yet.

But we haven't lost power or had trees fall on our house and I bought new tires so my car is no longer trying to plunge into the river every morning, which ought to inspire me to quit bellyaching and make my own sunshine: take one yellow leaf, a pinch of departmental laughter, a heaping cup of good news from a colleague who officially Exceeds Expectations, a mess of drafts demonstrating significant improvement in analytical skills, one game of Scrabble I didn't even win, and one opportunity to wave the word "vicissitudes" like a banner in a freshman class; knead thoroughly to work out the frustrations and then bake until golden. 

No comments: