Monday, August 27, 2012

No sleeping in class--especially if you're the teacher!

After all these years you'd think I'd be able to relax before a new semester, but no: I was wide awake this morning at 4:00, long before I needed to get up. I had no teaching-panic nightmares, no racing mind, no pre-teaching jitters. I just could not sleep.

So here I am eight hours later getting ready to teach my second class of the day. The first went well (I think--I may be dreaming!) but I'm quickly running out of steam. I need to stand up and blab for about 30 minutes before making my students write, so I need enough energy and alertness to get through the standing-and-blabbing part and once they start writing, I can start snoring. (In theory. I haven't actually tested this theory in the classroom.)

Two new classes today, two new classes tomorrow--but I've already met with one of them during freshman orientation. It's my 17-football-players-and-one-softball-player class. They seem like a lot of fun, but they're definitely giving me a workout already. Which is a good thing considering how little sleep I've been getting. 

All right, class! Drop and give me 40 (winks)!



No comments: