Sunday, June 24, 2012

An otter dog

I can understand why my dog would want to plunge into the creek this time of year--in this heat, I would gladly jump in there myself if we didn't live just downstream from cows. But it's not just summer's heat that sends her swimming: in the dead of winter she'll find an opening in the ice and slide right into the frigid water. 

There's not much water flowing out there right now. Not so long ago we were worried about flooding, but today the creek bed is dry in long stretches and only a few spots retain enough water to keep Hopeful happy. Up on the hill, grass and weeds are dry and brown--except for the poison ivy. It always finds a way to thrive.

I saw indigo buntings in the upper meadow as well as some wood thrushes, tufted titmice, and brown thrashers. Hummingbirds are visiting the feeders but not as many as we've hosted in previous years. I keep hearing what I hope is a green heron down by the creek, but I haven't succeeded in tracking it down since that first time I saw it.

Maybe that's because I have such an excellent helper. I have a feeling the birds don't find Hopeful's antics particularly entertaining. 



2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I love the photo of the dog shaking off the water!

Bev said...

Thanks! This heat certainly makes it tempting!