Monday, September 19, 2011

When life gives you groundhogs...

Today's well-dressed hound accessorizes with a groundhog carcass draped tastefully across the incisors. She turns and struts and shows her stuff, but don't try to get too close! She is fiercely protective of her new fashion statement.

Times like these I'm really glad Hopeful is an outdoor dog. We already have enough wildlife inside the house, what with giant spiders and crickets that jump at you when you  least expect it and mice in the kitchen and fruit flies in the tomatoes. The cat has been gone for two weeks but I'm still finding hidden deposits of cat hair stashed beneath the sofa, and what's this? Mold? Last week's plumbing catastrophe will be haunting our house for a while.

But at least I don't have to contend with dead groundhogs. Hopeful stashed her treasure beneath a big pine tree, pantry to the great outdoors, so I hope I won't have to see it again. I appreciate her prowess in hunting down the groundhogs that nibble on our garden plants, but that doesn't mean I intend to socialize with the carcass.  

3 comments:

Quackademic said...

I love this post! I could practically hear the runway music as Hopeful pranced on in...think Right Said Fred with a groundhog...

Quackademic said...

Runway? Catwalk? Red carpet? I don't know about my word choice up there...

Anonymous said...

Quite right too but remind me how, under other circumstance, one does socialize with a carcass. "Delighted to meat you?"

D.