Friday, September 02, 2011

Curiosity and the cat


A photo on the wall at home shows my son sprawled on the floor reading the Sunday comics while the cat stands beside him looking curious. 

That was back when Whiskers could see well enough to take an interest in the world around her. She used to perch by the big front window watching birds fluttering and frolicking out at the feeders, but for a while now she hasn't even noticed birds--or anything else. Somewhere along the way she got wobbly, stopped jumping up on the furniture and going down the steps.

On Monday she stopped walking altogether. For a few days my husband kept carrying Whiskers to her food dish and the litter box, and in the evenings he sat with the cat in his lap just petting and soothing her for an hour at a time. Yesterday he took her on that last lonely visit to the vet, driving with the cat in his lap because he didn't want to let her go one minute too soon.

She always preferred the men in the family, and now I think the men will miss her most. These last days have been unpleasant for all of us, so I prefer to think of Whiskers curled up beside my sleeping son as if to protect him from intruders, or standing by his side as he reads the comics. Curiosity didn't kill this cat, but when she lost her curiosity, a little something died inside all of us.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that.

Joy said...

Our Miss Mama Kitty went through that, but after 43 days in the vet's office and another 3 weeks of TLC (and quiet) from my mom and dad, she bounced back.

She's profoundly deaf now, the dog acts as a guide dog for her, and she's sometimes wobblier than pothers, but still has her spunk - jumping up on the bed (although in the strangest way) and winding 'round feet for food. She's not so great about hitting the litter pan now, which is as disgraceful for her as it is annoying for us.

Still I treasure these times with her as I know that sooner now, she'll be froliking with Whiskers in a picture window - only maybe they won't be watching birds flying about.

So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Great photo. What restraint. In such circumstances, I think our cats would sit on the comics. May the grief pass in its own good time.

D.

Bardiac said...

I'm so sorry, Bev. My thoughts are with you and your family.