Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend visitors





Saturday afternoon I walked to the upper meadow in search of butterflies, but I found larger game first. This deer stood watching me as I walked up the hill snapping photos, but as soon as I got one step too close, it leapt toward the woods. The butterfly population has been low this summer thanks to unseasonably cool nights, but I still found a few to photograph.

I noticed minor damage from last Thursday's heavy storms. An old rusty antenna tower up in the butterfly meadow has now snapped two out of three guy wires and has been nudged a good way out of vertical. We need to knock that thing down before it falls on someone. Meanwhile, down in the garden, the storm knocked down our most mature corn stalks, but they're already starting to reach for the sky.

No comments: