Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hair today, gone tomorrow

My daughter was born with a thick mop of fine black hair all over her head, but it didn't last long. Within a week she had a bald spot in back where the hair had rubbed off, and within a month she was pretty much bald.

I've been following her lead this week. I started Monday morning with a head of thick dark hair, but it grew thinner each day until I had to cover the bald spot with a scarf on Friday. I've been trailing clouds of glorious hair everywhere I go--in the shower, in my office, in my food--and my car looks as if some woodland creature has been nesting in it. All I did was lean my head on my hand while driving home. When I took my hand away, a bunch of hair came with it.

Today I'm losing the rest of my hair. I'm tired of the mess, so my husband will shave off what little remains: a fine fringe around the edges, a few lonely strands on top. Meanwhile, I'm practicing my scarf-tying skills. The cancer center gave me a catalog featuring a variety of methods for disguising baldness, including clown-like chenille beanies and wigs that evoke Dolly Parton. There's a gold lame turban that looks as if it belongs on a 1940s movie star, but that's really not the look for me.

But what will be my signature look? Rosie the Riveter, Aunt Jemima, Russian Babushka, or Katie Kerchief? (Did I once have a doll called Katie Kerchief or am I making that up?) I can't quite pull off the Jackie O look, which requires certain accessories: sunglasses, sailboats, and Greek shipping magnates. I can't teach in sunglasses, and where would I stash my students on the boat?

Maybe there's a fedora in my future. I've always admired the fedora. It looks so Humphrey Bogart. I could be the middle-aged-bald-woman Bogart. Temporarily.

My daughter's dark hair never grew back, replaced instead by beautiful fine golden-brown hair that twisted into thick curls at adolescence. Someday, when I'm all done with cancer and chemotherapy, my hair will come back too, but it may be different: straighter or curlier, thicker or thinner, maybe all gray, maybe not. Perhaps my inner Dolly Parton will finally be unleashed. Meanwhile, I'm tying scarves, dreaming about hats, and trying not to lose my head over losing my hair.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Beauty is not defined by weight, skin color, height or hair. It is those qualities hidden behind the obvious - but much more present to the people of the world.

You are beautiful! And ohh-laa-la what a mind : )

See ya Tuesday - by the way, how do you feel about Harley scarves? : )

Anonymous said...

If you're teaching the film class this semester, then I think you should definitely go with the gold turban.

The Hot Heads Groupie said...

I vote for a beret. I think you could bring them back. The poor things have been hiding out in the tops of closets and in unassuming thrift store bins since '92 just hoping someone like you would come along to improve their image.

Bev, You will look beautiful whatever you wear! Bummer that you're having to deal w/this. You're handling it SO well though! A girl I know down here is going through something similar and I told her to check out your blog.

Well, that's it for tonight. Have a good week! Love and prayers! B

The Hot Heads Groupie said...

I vote for a beret. I think you could bring them back. The poor things have been hiding out in the tops of closets and in unassuming thrift store bins since '92 just hoping someone like you would come along to improve their image.

Bev, You will look beautiful whatever you wear! Bummer that you're having to deal w/this. You're handling it SO well though! A girl I know down here is going through something similar and I told her to check out your blog.

Well, that's it for tonight. Have a good week! Love and prayers! B

The Hot Heads Groupie said...

Ruh Roh! Sorry! I accidently double posted! I'm an impatient girl!