Monday, February 09, 2009

Partly sunny

This morning I drove to work in daylight, which sounds fairly ho-hum unless you've been driving to work in the dark, driving home in the dark, and spending the entire day indoors for at least a month. Yesterday the sun was shining all afternoon, and Saturday morning I managed to walk the loop under blazing sun, and even though I still had to pick my way around veritable glaciers covering shady sections of my road, it still felt like I had walked from darkness into light. It was just about one year ago that I first walked the loop (read it here), but since that time I've done it so many times that if I can't walk for a few days, I feel deprived. The recent cold and icy conditions have prevented me from walking for nearly a month, so Saturday's walk was quite welcome.

Moreso because that walk was really the only relaxation I enjoyed all weekend. I revised a journal article, reviewed a textbook proposal, did some housework, assembled a pile of papers to mail to my tax guy, took some pictures, prepared for classes, and basically spent the entire weekend working--except for the two hours it took me to walk the loop. That walk may have provided enough solar energy to recharge my batteries for a few days, but it won't last. One good dose of sunshine leaves me wanting more....so let's hope more is on the way.

No comments: