Friday, February 06, 2009

Chiasm R Us

You know you're a certifiable language nerd if the act of constructing a sentence with chiastic structure makes you feel as if you've swallowed sunshine. Unfortunately, this kind of joy is difficult to share with others. Anyone who asks me why I'm grinning like an idiot this morning and hears my response ("I just created the most wonderful chiasm!") is likely to back slowly toward the door, nodding and smiling all the way. "There, there, now," they'll say, or "I think they've got a new treatment for that--you might want to check with your doctor."

But I can't help it: it's not every day that an opportunity to employ chiasm arises, and I intend to enjoy it while I can. I'll tell everyone--and if they don't understand, that's their loss, not mine.

No comments: