Friday, September 28, 2007

A man hears what he wants to hear

I seem to have fallen into a time warp: this morning on the way to work I kept hearing Don MacLean singing "American Pie" in my head for no clear reason, and then in class one of my students turned in a paper that contained an oblique reference to "The Boxer," and since then I haven't been able to dislodge Simon and Garfunkle from my brain.

I seem to have squandered my resistance: will someone please tell me how to say bye-bye to "American Pie"? I am leaving, I am leaving but the the fighter still remains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're supposed to take the Chevy to the levee and then witness the children screaming, lovers crying and poets dreaming.
Lie la lie ...

I saw a reading an author gave recently on Letterman (I think in July or August) where he read an excerpt from a book (memoir) in which he plagiarized "The Boxer" to hysterical results in his English class.