Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Struggling for speech

After yesterday's tragedy it seems somehow callous to talk to students about commas, but that's what I'm doing today. I harbor no hope that correct use of commas will reduce the level of senseless violence in our world, nor do I believe that mastering the rules of comma usage will dissuade a deranged student from murdering his classmates. But what else can I tell them? "Thou shalt not kill" has already been said a few times, and those seriously considering mass murder tend to be unresponsive to the message.

If I could say one thing to all my students today it would be this: phone home. Call your mom, dad, sibs, friends, and love each other up. And ask for help when you need it; use words, not weapons.

It's not much, but at this point it's the best I can do.

No comments: