Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A card for every purpose

I went to the campus bookstore to buy a greeting card--just an ordinary friendly mother-to-daughter card in which to insert a check--but I was disappointed to find that the bookstore has drastically reduced its selection of greeting cards (has electronic communication made greeting cards obsolete?) so that I found nothing even remotely appropriate for the occasion. I did, however, find a birthday card featuring the following charming message: "Happy Birthday. See you in Hell."

Who sends such a card? "Students love that card," said one of the store clerks. "We can't keep it in stock."

I realize that I am hopelessly out of touch, but I really don't understand this at all. Anyone care to explain?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having just bought that card, and subsequently stumbled onto you blog, I might be able to explain:

I bought it because the person who I'm giving it to is (as I am) agnostic, but who is known to casually bandy about the fact that, if such a place exists, they are definitely going there. I figured that their birthday is the sort of occasion to bring on the type of debauchery to really seal the deal, and so the card seemed perfect.

Explained?