Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Slouching toward Prom

Last night I learned, to my chagrin, that none of the tuxedo rental establishments in this area are open in the evening. This is not a total disaster; after all, my young men have no school on Thursday, so they can go tux-shopping then. However, I'll be in Atlanta for a conference Thursday through Sunday, so they'll have to shop without me. This is also not a disaster, although it certainly has potential to go that way, especially when you consider that last night I had to explain to the young men the answers to the following essential questions:

1. What, exactly, is the difference between a suit and a tuxedo and why does anyone care?
2. What is a cummerbund and why do I need one?
3. Who cares what kind of tux I rent? It's just a dance.

Somehow these questions never came up when I was dressing a daughter for prom; my role was simply to make sure there was plenty of film in the camera. This morning it occurred to me that I haven't discussed with the young men the important topic of corsages: does your date prefer a pinned corsage or a wrist corsage? What color? Any floral allergies? I can see their eyes rolling already.

1 comment:

jaywalke said...

GIVE ME THE BIG BROOM. It's time for a sweeping generalization.

Prom is a female institution, and its mores and rational are unfathomable to the heterosexual male. We don't dress up unless browbeaten by females.

"Beware enterprises which require new clothes."

I'll bet Thoreau didn't go to prom.